A clean, glossy floor can improve the appearance of an entire office space. Fortunately, maintaining and revitalizing your floors doesn’t have to be a monumental task if you follow certain steps and have the right tools. Here are some tips to keep your floors looking great:
Stripping a Floor
- Remove all furnishings.
- Remove loose dirt, dust and debris from the floor.
- Set up your equipment before you begin.
- Mix floor stripper according to the manufacturer’s instructions in a 5-gallon mop bucket (make sure to use thick black trash bag to line the bucket.
- Place a cotton mop in this 5-gallon mop bucket.
- Fill the wringer 5-gallon mop bucket with clear water and place a clean mop in it. (make sure to use thick black trash bag to line the bucket)
- Place the buffing machine at the farthest point in the room.
- Connect hoses to the wet vac.
- Set up the room so that you will be able to work toward an exit.
- Mop a liberal amount of floor stripper onto the floor to cover an area of about 10 feet by 10 feet.
- Dip the stripper mop into the 5-gallon bucket.
- Apply the stripper to the floor and allow it to sit for several minutes or as recommended by the manufacturer.
- Scrub the floor with a black stripping pad attached to the floor-buffing machine.
- Work from the farthest corner toward the exit.
- Work the machine in a side-to-side manner, with plenty of overlap.
- Vacuum the used stripper from the floor, using the wet vac.
- Mop the vacuumed section with clear water before it has a chance to dry.
(If the old stripper dries on the floor, you will need to re-strip that area.)
- Allow the vacuumed area to dry.
- Inspect the dried area for missed spots and powdery residue.
- If glossy sections of missed wax are found, re-strip that section.
- If a residue is found, re-mop with the clean water.
Apply Floor Wax.
- Apply floor finish after the floor has completely dried.
- Apply wax with a flat mop with a microfiber pad.
- Pour a small amount of wax onto the floor.
- Spread an even, thin coat over a 5-foot by 7-foot area.
- spread the wax using an overlapping, side-to-side figure-eight pattern.
- Repeat as needed until the entire floor is covered.
- Allow to dry.
- Repeat Steps until you achieve three to four coats of wax.